Friday, February 10, 2006

Cabo Travel Log, 2/10/2006, 6:30pm

Arrived mid-afternoon yesterday at the Hotel Tesoro Los Cabos, after uneventful Alaska Airlines flight and harrowing bus ride through downtown Cabo San Lucas.

Relaxed by the hotel pool with the other 21 Googlers on the trip, snacking on nachos, quesadillas, and cervezas of all stripes.

Then, it was off to Mi Casa for a delicious and apparently authentic Mexican meal. I tried some sopes for an appetizer, with three kinds of tamale for an entree, and different flavors of margarita to help the medicine go down.

We then headed to the El Squid Roe nightclub. Benjy and I had booked an early-morning scuba dive for this morning, and Squid Roe was pretty workplace-inappropriate, anyway, so I didn't stay long.

Rose early this morning for my first-ever scuba dive. The one other beginner, a Marin county doctor named Susan, was very nervous, despite the wonderful ministrations of our instructor, Fausto. We did finally get in the water, and the dive was honestly a high point of my life -- peaceful and weightless for a half hour, exploring fish-filled coral down to a depth of 60 feet. At one point, Fausto broke open an abalone shell, and Susan and I fed a school of tropical fish from our hands, just like feeding pigeons in the park.

Mom's genes caught up with me on the short boat ride back to the marina, and I suffered from seasickness for most of the afternoon spent with Benjy and Susannah.

Now, I'm off to meet the remaining Googlers for dinner at a restaurant fittingly named The Office.

Cabo is lovely. Wish you were here.

No comments: