Now, about the day…
Completely over jet lag now, Mom, Dad, and I looked pretty fresh at the hotel breakfast at 10am. From there, we headed straight to Notre Dame. Though smaller than other famous cathedrals like St. Peter’s and
After Notre Dame, we walked toward
We made a random lunch stop at a small, nearby restaurant called Auberge de Deux Ponts. I had delicious, salty onion soup and some pasta carbonara. Mom spent much of the meal discreetly trying to take a picture of the “world’s politest cat” – as she dubbed him – who was perched quietly on a seat at the next table.
After a brief stop at the stark Holocaust memorial behind Notre Dame, we walked across the small island and found the tiny but beautiful Saint-Chapelle. This is a church whose walls are small slivers of stone between giant sheets of stained glass. An impressive sight, even in the light of today’s overcast sun.
Next, at my suggestion, we took our first metro ride to the
Having read that the tower was an entirely different sight at night, we stopped into the nearest café to wait for sunset. And this café reminded me of something. Did you even notice when the nerds took over the world? Have a look:
Not seeing it? Look closer, above the door:The nerds took over the world by making everyone a nerd. My own lapsed-technophobe father sent email from his blackberry in that very café. And he didn’t even need the wi-fi to do it.
Who knows what that neon sign will say in another 15 years?
As for myself, the internet has changed how I live, or at least how I travel, in a really subtle and pervasive way: to a large extent, I’m constantly curating my own experiences. As I move through a day in
I have mixed feelings about all of this. An intention to record and process really motivates me to get out and do more. On top of that, my attention stays sharp all day, because after all I’m working on something. (You’re reading it now.) And finally, I do believe that there is a permanence and concreteness in a well-recorded journey that one never quite matches when relying on memory alone. However, I can’t shake the thought that if the tunnel I look through now is so clear and deep, it must also be a bit narrow.
Oh well. These are the life and times of Will Robinson, and I have a hunch that I can file this directly under the heading: “Not Better. Not Worse. Just Different.” I’ll close this line of thinking with a link that says it all much more concisely than I can:
(And for those of you who don’t know what Livejournal is, it’s a blogging system like the one I’m using to write this post).
Our last stop after a nighttime
The food was delicious, the atmosphere quiet and homey, and we had the good fortune of sitting next to Tracy Bank, a visitor from
My biggest failure as a self-curator today? I didn’t write down the restaurant’s name. Oh well, it’s just around the corner. I might jot it down tomorrow and then practice some revisionism on this here blog.
Reader, beware!
Au revoir.
1 comment:
What a great blog, Will, I can't decide if it makes me feel happy to see through your eyes or distressed we aren't there exploring with you; maybe a little of both. Love you!
Post a Comment