Another exciting day that began with the usual continental breakfast in the hotel.
Then we all walked to the Musee National du Moyen Age (The Museum of the Middle Ages, also known as the
Cluny Museum since it shares space with the Hotel Cluny).
Sam had been talking about this museum since landing yesterday, and it didn’t disappoint.
Impressive sculptures, paintings, and illuminated books from the middle ages, along with the remains of the original Roman baths and the famous tapestry, “Lady and the Unicorn.” Here's a close-up of one of the illuminated works:
After the museum, we stopped into the nearby St. Severin church for a minute or two, which was lovely and (to me at least) very reminiscent of St. Sulpice.

Then a 10-meter stroll around the corner for lunch at Le Grand Bistrot, which we selected randomly from a street full of quaint-looking places.
The food was tasty, and the large display of meats and cheeses in the window had tour groups stopping and taking photos throughout the meal.
Mom snapped a good picture of people taking pictures.
In the tour groups’ defense, they
did have a 100ish-pound wheel of cheese in the window.
I would have taken a picture of that, too.
We returned to the hotel to meet up with Pam and Raylene, whose flight had been delayed but who ultimately arrived just after lunchtime. We said our joyful hellos and took some pictures.

Then apparently, Pam and Raylene went to Notre Dame and St. Chapelle, Mom and Dad went to the Notre Dame archaeological exhibit, and Dee and Sam retraced our second-day steps to the Orsay and l’Orangerie museums. I say “apparently” because I spent the afternoon napping. Or to make that sound more heroic: power-napping.
The napping did a body good, as I was feeling very ready to go when I met everyone in the lobby at 6:30. We had dinner at Relais Odeon, another random choice and a great one. Our waiter was very lively and entertaining, and handled our table of seven very gracefully. I made the big mistake and ordered both a salad and a main course, having forgotten to check the price on the salad (which turned out to be a meal in itself). Then my main course arrived, accompanied by a side-salad of course. C’est la vie!
Mom and Dad at dinner. Note Google t-shirt. What a man.
After dinner, Dad, Sam, and I walked further down the Blvd. St.-Germain to have a post-meal coffee and chat at the famous Café de Flores. (Decaf for me. I am a wild and crazy guy).
Looking forward to the arrival of Lauren, Anna, and Nathan tomorrow, at which point all of us will finally be assembled here in France! Tomorrow is our last full day in Paris. We hop the train to Provence on Saturday morning.
1 comment:
Post a Comment